Mahibere Hiwot for Social Development (MSD) was established in 1999 as an Anti-AIDS youth club in Gondar town by few volunteer young people who were concerned about the devastating effects of HIV and AIDS and wished to make a positive contribution to combating the spread of the disease. MSD was registered as an association in March 2002 by Gondar administration Justice Department. It has latter progressed and registered as local NGO by the Ministry of Justice in July 2004 and re-registered with the name of Mahibere Hiwot Reproductive Health and Social Development Organization in 2009 by the Civil Society Agency as an Ethiopian Resident Charity.
MSD is not–for–profit non–partisan local NGO and works very closely with the poor local community. Since November 2012 the organization has re-named as Mahibere Hiwot for Social Development (MSD).
To see healthy and productive community that actively participates in the socio – economic development of the country.
The Mission of MSD is creating healthy and productive society in collaboration with development actors to eradicate poverty through HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support to Orphans & Vulnerable Children and People Living with HIV/AIDS, providing reproductive health services, promoting maternal and child health, contributing for appropriate level of nutrition, livelihood and Sanitation, and ensuring Environmental conservation and rehabilitation.
- Create awareness of the community on HIV/AIDS and Reproductive Health issues
- Reduce the Reproductive Health problems especially among sexually active youths
- Improve the health status of People Living With HIV through home based care service provision
- Enable People Living With HIV (PLHIVs) and Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in being productive and help themselves
- Promote Maternal and Child Health
- Contribute for appropriate nutrition, livelihood and Sanitation
- Ensure environmental conservation and rehabilitation
- Capacitate volunteers to provide counseling & home based care services and facilitate discussions among youths.
- Train health workers to provide clinical services.
- Provide People Living With HIV (PLHIV) and Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) with entrepreneurship training and seed money to engage themselves in various income generating activities.
- Allow clients involve in programs by themselves to create sense of ownership.
- Create smooth working relationship with partners and stakeholders to implement project activities in integrated and coordinated way.
Main Intervention Areas
- Youth and Child Development
- Sexual Reproductive Health and Family Planning
- Maternal and Child Health
- Targeted HIV Prevention, Care and Support
- Nutrition, Livelihood and Sanitation
- Environmental Conservation and Rehabilitation
Major Project Activities
- Develop and distribute different IEC/BCC materials for the community and accomplish different community mobilization activities.
- Capacity building of Volunteer Home Based Care Service Providers, Community Counselors, Peer Leaders, Youth Dialogue Facilitators and Health Professionals.
- Provide Direct Reproductive Health/Family Planning services and/or refer clients for health institutions.
- Establish and strengthen In-school and out-of-school youth friendly services and Anti-AIDS clubs.
- Provide Library service and Basic Computer training for youths.
- Provide counseling service for the community and refer them to health institutions for HCT and PMTCT services.
- Provide home based care service for bed ridden HIV/AIDS patients.
- Provide Entrepreneur training and Seed money to Orphan & vulnerable children (OVC) and people living with HIV (PLHIV) to engage in various Income Generating Activities (IGAs).
- Promote and distribute condom for contraceptive as well as HIV/AIDS preventive measure.
- Sexually active in - school and out – of - school youths,
- Orphan and vulnerable children (OVCs)
- People living with HIV (PLHIVs),
- Rural Girls,
- Commercial Sex Workers (CSWs),
- Clients of Sex Workers.
MSD has established effective partnership with different NGOs, CBOs and government offices such as Women, Children and Youth Affairs Offices, Education Offices, Health Offices and HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Coordination Offices etc. at all operational areas.
In addition, MSD has been working with following International partners/Donors;
- Pathfinder International Ethiopia,
- World Food Program,
- Ipas Ethiopia,
- PSI Ethiopia,
- Family Health International-Ethiopia
- Pact Ethiopia,
- UNICEF & UNFPA /NORAD joint fund/
- CSSP/British Council
- Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TDH.NL)
- Gondar, at the compound of zonal court,
- Bahir Dar, Kebele 02 at Bahir Dar DIC
- Ambagiorgis, Kebele 01, at teachers association office
- Dabat, at Dabat youth center
- Debark, at kebele 01 administration office
- Adiarkay at Adiarkay Bus station
- Matema, at Metema DIC
- Gendawuha, at ACSI building
- Koladiba, at woreda administration office
- Chilga, at woreda health office
- Quara, at woreda health office
In the above mentioned offices, MSD deploys about 90 permanent staffs and more than 1500 volunteers, in its operation areas to realize its mission and objectives.
Major Achievements Registered
The level of awareness increases among the community concerning reproductive health and HIV/AIDS.
- Reproductive health problems reduced among targets.
- The demand for HCT service increases.
- The demand for Condom increases and improved its proper utilization among clients.
- Health status of PLHIV improved being productive.
MSD is organized in three tiers that consist of the General Assembly, Board of Management, and the Secretariat (Head Office). The General Assembly is the decision making body. Both the General Assembly and the Board of Directors meet on regular basis and discuss issues that affect the operation of the organization. They have clear understanding of their roles and responsibilities and MSD’s mission, core values, goals and strategies. All annual and quarterly plans and reports are submitted to pertinent stakeholders in time and auditing is done by authenticated audit firm annually.
Mahibere Hiwot for Social Development is member of the Consortium of Christian Relief and Development Association (CCRDA) and Consortium of Reproductive Health Association (CORHA). Besides, MSD is a member of the regional RH networks and actively participated at different GOs-NGOs forums in the region. Being a member of the aforementioned organizations, MSD has benefited a lot in terms of acquiring wide range of practical experiences and building the capacity of its staff.
1. Head Office
Addis Ababa, Bole Sub City, Gereji Around Imperial Hotel, Behind Sami Building
2. Amhara Region Office
Bahir Dar, kebele 16, Behind Regional Telecommunication Main office